Home » Blog » Topics » 'Reparative,' 'Conversion,' & 'Ex-Gay' Therapies » Friday Morning LGBT Youth News Updates
Good morning from LGBT Youth Allies!
Here are some of the stories making the news.
(Remember to check out the Latest News Page too; we update it multiple times daily.)
- The San Francisco Chronicle has this report about the big news out of California, which I also covered yesterday afternoon: A federal appeals court has upheld the state’s law banning “conversion” therapy for minors.
- The Human Rights Campaign Foundation has announced the inaugural “Time to THRIVE” conference, “a large-scale national conference to promote safety, inclusion and well-being for LGBTQ youth.” The first conference will take place in Las Vegas in February.
- In other HRC news, the organization has sent this letter to corporate sponsors of the Olympics, asking that they take various actions in opposition to Russia’s anti-gay laws and in support of LGBT equality.
- An LGBT equality group has filed a complaint on behalf of an Indiana gay teen who was attacked on a school bus. I wrote about the incident (and posted a video about it) in a post last week.
- Carla Hale, who lost her job as a teacher at a Catholic school when her mother’s obituary revealed the existence of her same-sex partner, is believed to have received a large amount of back pay as part of a confidential legal settlement with the governing Diocese.
- A bishop in Honolulu makes the bizarre, entirely unfounded claim that marriage equality will contribute to youth suicides.
- The Washington Blade reports on student-athlete scholarships from Team DC, an LGBT athletics organization.
- An LGBT youth group is reopening with a new name—Thrive—in Cape Cod.
- From Australia via the Gay News Network: “Federal Labor will commit $8 million to extend Victoria’s Safe Schools Coalition program across the country if re-elected.”
- Finally WTTW reports on support for transgender youth and their families at the Center for Gender, Sexuality and HIV Prevention in Chicago. (See the video below.)
'Reparative,' 'Conversion,' & 'Ex-Gay' Therapies, Court Cases, Lawsuits & Demand Letters, Latest News Home Page, Law, Legislation & Policy, LGBT News From July through December 2013, Marriage Equailty, Post Archive (Blog Posts Last Updated from July 2012 to November 2016), Posts with Videos, Transgender Issues, Gender Identity & Gender Expression
'Reparative' & 'Conversion' & 'Ex-Gay' Therapies, Court Cases & Lawsuits & Demand Letters, Gender Identity & Expression & Transgender Issues, Health & Medical, Law & Legislation & Policy, LGBT-Supportive Organizations & Companies, Marriage Equality, Private Schools, Protests & Petitions & Action Alerts & Events & Celebrations & Pride Marches, Religion, State & Local (U.S.), Videos